Saturday, October 22, 2011

so this is the last of my old magazine reviews

I had one more review of the movie "Immortal" which will follow. remember this was written in about 2005:

'May 1994'

the cover by Sire is neat, with the tough girl with impossibly long legs, the stylish bike, and humor ( a rolling pin in a holster? )

the Mitch O'Connell gallery was nice to see, Google tells me he's still working in Chicago.

the main story, The Disarmament by Mezzo and Pirus, has a strong story and nice drawing, which kind of reminded me of El Borbah. I wasn't totally amazed but I enjoyed it.

what really caught my eye in this issue was Boy Racer by Barron Storey. I found the art and story engrossing for the depth of feeling, which could be from it being presented as a personal story. On top of that, after the intro kind of thanks Kevin, this first panel has "Kevin, Heavy Metal Magazine is too Tits and Ass" across it. I found this brash and funny, as well as something I have some agreement with, and after all the back and forth in previous issues' Chain Mail about girls on the cover etc, it was amusing.

the From Beyond by P. Craig Russel was an interesting adaptation.

the Little Ego and The Evening Lover were nice to look at but thin.

the Strip Tease with a devil theme was fun, I really liked the Devil Burns a Sick Day by Landman, because of the apparent early use of computer graphics. Sisyphus always stikes a chord with me too.

fred

No comments: