Saturday, October 22, 2011

Re: 2011 - Present issue' ratings 1-9

well, late to the party again, but here goes:

May 2011

Cover - 4 (sorry, it's just not interesting to me. you like it? good. it's bright and eye-catching, I hope it sells.)

Dossier - 6 (I like Zippy and history, blasphemy can be funny)

Gallery - 6 (he's good, the style and subjects are ok)

Tarot Cards - 5

The Soul Devourer - 6 (it was most successful for me in setting the tone, of a vision quest type adventure, less so with the art and translation)

Tao Bang - 7 (I liked the art, some panels were really good. The storytelling was less inspiring, and it was so apparent this was part of a continuing story that it detracted from this part of it.)

Scavengers - 7 (the idea of a metal eating space monster is the coolest part)

Side Images - 5 (the light story is further inhibited by the flat art and the translation)

Saving Poor Elsy Shelby - 8 (I usually like Xalabarder's imagination, this one was less interesting, until the ending, which really enticed me with the descent to madness leading to the somewhat mind-blowing last panel.)

In the Blues - 8 (I thought this was good, but as I thought about it I saw that it was very well done, even though it didn't really excite me.)

Artist Studio - 5 (two pig masks in one issue?)

there were some interesting ads and things, but the inside back cover - HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa - the joke's on me! something old with something new. I think this is the first Gates reference in the print magazine.)


2 comments:

Xyanne said...

Hey Fred :) Just thought I'd share my review on this particular issue real quick. Sounded like fun. I would have posted about one of the newer issues, but I sadly haven't had the money for Heavy Metal these last few months or so :(

May 2011

Cover - 3 I agree. This cover isn't... well it stinks! But then I'm very partial to the old covers, before digital art was a medium. I've only seen probably one Heavy Metal cover that I've actually liked in the last few years. So, consider me biased on this one.

Dossier - 7 I'm partially fascinated by Zippy. There is a part of me that remembers him only very vaguely. I watched Comic Book Confidential a few days ago on Netflix, & when they showed that bit about Zippy, it brought up familiar feelings I haven't felt in years, but the memories associated with them have gone missing from my mind. Found this bit in this issue interesting, though I wish they would have expounded a bit more. That's probably just me being selfish & nit-picky, though. Oh & for the jesus dressup fridge magnets. I've seen these around in head shops for a few years now, so they weren't anything new to me. My 3 year old son likes me pointing out each part of his wardrobe though. He laughs every time I point out Jesus's diaper & the pig mask.

Gallery - 8 Gorgeous! But I'm a girl, so I'm partial to pretty girly things. The last two pieces, not so much, though. Wtf is up with the girl hanging around decorative glass jugs & stuff?!

Tarot Cards - 3 Ick. Other than The Hanged Man anyways. He grew on me after a while.

The Soul Devourer - 7 Liked the layout. Liked the artwork. Looked at it without reading it & loved it. Finally, after the third time around, read it & didn't like it nearly as much. It didn't meld well with the narration or something. Or maybe I just made up my own story & didn't like that it was different from the real one?

Tao Bang - 6 Art is good, haven't had a chance to read all the way through yet. I feel guilty, but maybe tonight or something.

Scavengers - 6 The artwork isn't all that good. But I totally agree that the idea of a metal eating space monster is the coolest part :)

Side Images - 4 It's a story that's been told a thousand times, but I still couldn't help but get a tiny kick out of it. The panel where she looked as if she was picking her nose on page 64 sold me, haha! But yeah, this one was pretty bad.

Saving Poor Elsy Shelby - 9 Xalabarder is my new addiction.

In the Blues - 6 Well done, but didn't excite me either & if it doesn't seem to be exciting or interesting...

Artist Studio - 4 Piggies! But no, didn't work in the end there, did it? I did like the pub wench with the scars, though. Kind of The Slaughtered Lamb-esque.

When I got back into reading Heavy Metal Mag, the ads bothered me a lot. I would think "This isn't the Heavy Metal Mag that I once knew!", but either the ads are getting better or I'm now starting to get use to them. The covers, though... I don't know if I'll ever get use to what the cover art has become.

I'm not an art critic or anything, so all of my reviews should probably be taken as personal likes/dislikes & quite possibly very heavily biased :) I grew up with Heavy Metal Magazine & still consider it a small part of who I came to be. How weird is that? Anyways, thanks for your interesting reviews! & I'll try to come back every now & then. Maybe if I'm lucky, I can get my hands on a few more recent issues & post my reviews again later on :)

-Xyanne
http://www.xyanne.com

fred said...

thanks for your review Xyanne. yes, please post more.