Saturday, October 22, 2011

Re: 2011 - Present issue' ratings 1-9

Summer 2011, War of the Worlds Special

Wow, two specials in a row with names related to the content, pretty easy in this case, but could this be a trend?

Cover 7 (more action-packed than a typical pinup, and well done too)

Gallery - 6 (rather spare, and not much new, but nice looking)

St. Petersburg - 7 (it only has one thing to tell, but it tells it pretty well, powerfully enough to be almost poetic)

Legacy - 6 (the art doesn't look so hot, but works well enough for the piece to tell almost the same story as St. Petersburg, almost as well)

Divine Wind - 6 (I quite liked the story and its telling, though the art is very effective there are some times it looks cheesy rather than stylish)

The Oath - 7 (his anime hair and Maria's anime eyes were pretty silly, but the rest of the art helps the story a great deal, it's pretty gripping and has some real depth)

The Patient - 6 (I thought this was pretty good overall, with an interesting perspective from the crazy point of view, art that did a good job but no more, but it it seemed I wanted more from it.

The Captain - 7 (the most interesting art in the bunch, in my view, and an ok story. The pasted-in text on the portrait and in the last panel really didn't fit in and detracted from the story, and Thunder Child II? I kind of get it, but where did that come from?)

So I accepted that this was a promo and enjoyed this issue just fine. A lot of effort seems to be going into this movie so I hope they actually pull it off, I might even go see it if it really makes it to a theater near me. The huge catalog and 29 pages of ads total didn't strike me as a lot, but looking back it's more than usual.


Re: 2009 - Present issue' ratings 1-9

No comments: