Saturday, October 22, 2011

another one from way back

'October 1978'

A fanciful and appealing cover, and just inside, ads for the Animal House movie, and tequila.

The editorial ends with an apology to Harlan Ellison and others for errors in the previous issue's "Croatoan"

The Corben "New Tales of the Arabian Nights" episode was short, but full of color and at least as sexy as usual.

"Exterminator 17" starts in this issue. I liked Bilal's black and white line drawing, and Dionnet's writing made this a story that I looked forward to seeing in new issues. A far fetched story, told about an unlikely future, so that it seems almost plausible.

"Orion" by Morrow was a story that had a lot to offer but did not impress me as much as many others.

"Off-Season" by Zha and Claveloux, I get it just enough to enjoy it, I think.

I always enjoyed Druilliet and "Gail", there's always so much to see. This one was short, and the last panel was visually arresting.

All the above were stories that ran over several, perhaps many issues. Some of the others did too. They deserve more attention than I'm giving them. I'll proceed to write about this issue.

So I wonder if any of those early HM shirts survived, like in the ad on p. 44 that says "flocked as thick as your finger"

"Blob" by Druilliet was short and to the point, with unique framing. I liked it.

"Dawn of the Dead" by George Romero. Wow, pages of words. About a movie. With zombies. Nuthin wrong with that.

"One Foot in Eden" by Mark Wheatley. More words, but with more pictures. Somehow the three stories and the, um, straightforward, art, combined to catch my attention. Evil foiled by drunkenness was funny. Written stories like this and the previous were common at the time, and had some advantages.

"The Airtight Garage" by Moebius. Man did this one go on forever. The zooming in on the Archer/android's head was kind of cool.

"Shattered like a Glass Goblin" by Ellison and Stout. I'm writing this review because of this one. I was struck by the extraordinary story, and the way the pictures illustrated it. A descent into madness was never shown to me in such a way. It went from believable to incredible, but it made it seem I could imagine it like this. This showed an advantage that words have. There are many words written about this Ellison story on the internet. Finally, the last panel, placed so it was seen as the page was turned, remains one of the most visually striking images I have seen in HM magazine so far. (note - still is)

"Heilman" by Voss. I always enjoyed these. The story and settings were interesting, I guess having lots of reincarnation allows for variety. In this one Heilman gets too attached to his existence and loses badly. I always enjoyed the art, the shading with elongated diamond shaped lines really draws my attention.

"So Beautiful and so Dangerous" by McKie. So it begins. This is an ambitious story that starts powerfully. I'll admit that something about the art, the perspective or something, doesn't work for me, but I don't let that keep me from enjoying this. The scope and depth of what it attempts to tell kept me interested. There is much more to this story than what was in the first HM movie.

"Curious Thing" by Bissette. Hey, that was funny when the space thing hralped in the cornfiled.

fred

No comments: