Saturday, October 22, 2011

randomly

I recall that I posted a disclaimer before I started these, something about it being my opinion and that I'm not a big comics expert or well read or anything. I'm still just some fan who gets to post things on the internet. Remember kids, just because I like something, doesn't make it good.

'March 1999'

I'm slowly catching up to the present by reading magazines as I get them kind of in order. I just read this one, and it started out like I had come to expect from issues of this time. I have been enjoying the editorials and the letters to the editor, and the references to the internet and emails are kind of amusing.

"The Trend" by Meredith Bogard was more understandable than some of the earlier ones.

I like "Galactic Geographic", I usually do. It's often fantasy told in a believable way. The art being presented as a "sketch from a colonist's electronic notebook" was a nice device, because the art for these is usually nicer.

Manara's "Fantasies" is told in a less believable way. It sure looks good, but seems even less substantial than usual. Of course, maybe it's just me, not being into poetry.

"The Thirsty Hero" story was fun and a little funny.

"Storm: the Slayer of Eriban" was something I enjoyed. A little Wikipedia helped me find that, yeah, this was by the same guy that did "The Trigan Empire" that I found a copy of a couple years ago, Don Lawrence, and that this was from 1984. (At the time I did not notice this when I read "Storm-the Living Planet" in the January 1997 HM). I liked the, um, "classical" comic book style and storytelling, and the story was ok too.

"The Fascination of Television"? Poor guy.

"Rats in the Walls" by Corben really caught my attention. I thought it was intense and well done, and seeing a Corben doing a H.P. Lovecraft story, in 1972, in a 1999 HM, made me wonder why this wasn't in before, like for example the October 1979 H.P. Lovecraft issue? The way the framing and panels were swirled around near the end was interesting, I wondered if it was drawn that way or manipulated after (adapted by Gore?).

"Ari-L" by Caza was likewise interesting for being older, from 84. It sort of took me back to the late 70's in terms of the obtuse story and rather dramatic art.

The Bisley "Simon Coldwater" was a contrast in style to be sure. Sometimes it's more over the top than I need it, but he sure can draw, and some of it is grotesquely funny, like the guy with the E on his shirt on the fifth page with his head sticking out of...um, you'd have to see it.

"The Pill" by Elghorri was tame in comparison, a little cool to read, but it didn't interest me much.

"G-Squad" by Morvan, Buchet, and Color Twins was alright. It had some neat effects, like the rings of fire to show gun shots, and some blurring to suggest motion. I thought the writing on the bomber's hand trigger was funny, that they went to the trouble of doing it twice.

I wonder if any of the pages or images from the early HM website have survived anywhere, all those "All new stories that will never be seen in Heavy Metal Magazine."

fred

No comments: