Friday, March 22, 2019

Meanwhile over at Heavy Metal

Announced on HM's fbook via a BleedingCool article, a Tim Seeley is joining the mag as Managing Editor.


https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/21/tim-seeley-managing-editor-heavy-metal-magazine/


(man that webpage really hates my computer, takes forever to load with all the crap and ads)


Rantz Hoseley has "left the company" it says.  Nothing on what he's doing or even a thank you.


Tim Seeley is apparently a well-known comics guy, and the article has Mr Eastman and others saying how great Tim is.  No word from or about Mr Morrison.  Comments on the article and the fbook post are all over the place, most like Mr Seeley and think Mr Morrison will hang on, though some seem even more clueless than me.


For me, it just came to me how HM has been trying to merge with comics, which I've been in denial of for a while.  I still thought of Heavy Metal as "The Adult Illustrated Fantasy Magazine" and comics were more lightweight and transient, but with the popular culture impact of comics these days, I can realize why HM might want to seem a part of that.


I'm also a bit annoyed about such an announcement by a fbook link to another article, rather than directly from HM, but I guess that's just how they do things, when they don't have much of a PR stance, as seen by the haphazard nature of the HM internet presence.  (it's been over a year since the main website has had anything new.)


So best of luck to Mr Seeley, and I hope he does at least as good of an interview as Mr Hoseley.

1 comment:

fred said...

So of course I'm just a crotchety old guy complaining how things aren't the way they used to be. Of course posting fbook links to articles about your stuff is how PR does things now.

So another article on BleedingCool about an announcement at C2E2 (Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo) about Hannah Means Shannon and Justim Mohlman joining the HM staff. I've actually heard of them, I've seen Ms Shannon (Ms Means Shannon?) elsewhere on the interwebs, Mr Mohlman was a Contributing Editor on HM #290. Also Ricardo Llarena is a Senior Editor now. He's actually commented on my little blog here.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/22/hannah-means-shannon-justin-mohlman-join-heavy-metal-editorial-ricardo-llarena-promoted-to-senior-editor/

So maybe I was on to something noticing the leadership changes noted in HM #292. Hopefully shaking things up will keep the mag going and even keep getting better.