Sunday, December 5, 2021

"Imagining Heavy Metal"

I recently came across a reference to "Imagining Heavy Metal", something of a "making of ..." documentary of the 1981 Heavy Metal movie, from 1999.  I had no idea this existed.  It can be funny how often that happens.  

Even funnier, is that it's actually on my copy of the 1981 Heavy Metal movie (Columbia DVD) and appears to have been made for this DVD release.  It seems ... I ... never ... watched it?  I won't rule anything out, considering my advanced years, but I'd think I would have remembered.

Well, I remember it now.  With segments with Ivan Reitman and others who worked on the movie, and Kevin Eastman, HM's publisher then (only about 7 years into his decades-long reign), talking about seeing it in the theaters as a teen.  I found this informative and enjoyable to watch.  

With some fun stuff about shooting and modeling tech, story development, voice talent, and behind the scenes gossip, and maybe some revisionist history, this was great to find out about and see.  One thing I learned was that the "NeverWhereLand" sequence, which I really liked, was actually cut since Mr Reitman apparently thought nothing could follow it.

While the 1981 Heavy Metal Movie is not my favorite part of HM lore, there's much to enjoy, and it's a big piece of the puzzle.  Seeing this documentary (finally) adds a great deal of enjoyment to my Heavy Metal fanboyhood.

No comments: