Saturday, December 22, 2018

John Findley's Tex Arcana

John Findley's Tex Arcana has not indicated an update for over three years.  I thought to email to the link a few days ago, to ask about it.  I'd done it before.  The email generates an auto-reply, advising that there's a registration process to allow the message to get past spam blockage.  I've been actually lucky enough to get a response a few times over the years, and he was quite gracious about it (actually corresponding with actual HM creators is an actual thrill for me), but the last time was over three years ago.


While I wait, I thought to look on the internet, and was disappointed to learn that the Tex Arcana comic was no longer available on the site, but for one short story, and it's been like that for almost 2 years!  I felt really bad, not really checking for so long that the great story I've been pointing to wasn't there anymore.  The Book looks like it's still available, which is good, and I recommend to anyone reading this you should go buy it.  I did earlier and I'm glad I did.


So I certainly hope things are going well for Mr Findley, and that this might just mean he wants to encourage people to buy his book (do it) or something else constructive.  In any case I remain grateful for what he did and what he shared freely, and for the kindness he showed me in previous correspondence, and I wish only the best of what his life has to offer for him.


But I remembered double checking on a link on an earlier post before, and it worked.  And it does.  For some reason, the work on the fourth as-yet-unpublished book, is still out there.  Starting here, after the end of the still-up story, are over eighty pages of some really cool expansion of the Tex Arcana saga.  If you're still reading this, you should go take a look at it, while it's still there.  As we see, nothing lasts forever.

3 comments:

fred said...

Not long after I posted this, Mr Findley responded to my email. While he's busy with projects, including photography, he's "waiting for a flash of inspiration" on Tex Arcana. I responded with thanks, and snuck in a question about the comics that dropped from the website. No reply so far, I get the feeling he doesn't check the email very oftern.

So no new Tex Arcana on the horizon. I guess I'll hope I live long enough to see Mr Findley's inspiration flash upon him, and continue to be grateful for what we have seen (and for the newer stuff that's still out there).

fred

Sage BrightHeart said...

You know, he doesn't have a Wikipedia page for Himself. Tex Arcana, sure, but not John. I had HM subscription for a very long time, and Tex Arcana was one of my huge faves. I loved the serialized nature. Sad to say, my eyesight gave out on me 25 years ago, and I've found that comics/GN are nearly impossible for me. Super sad.

fred said...

thanks for your comment. I hadn't looked at the Tex Arcana wikipedia for a long time, it's funny how it still says the art is not up on the texarcana.com site, when it was restored not long after I noticed it disappeared, a few years ago. yeah my eyes started losing it over 10 years ago too, now I'm using 3X readers to read my Heavy Metals.