Monday, April 25, 2016

Prince

So HeavyMetal.com put up a feature to honor the departed Prince.  It was nice of them to do, and it had a cool Metal Hurlant cover with him, and a couple comic references.  It also had a link to the hideous "Bat Dance" music video that I had blocked from memory, until now.  Ugh.


In any case, also included was an image by Rod Kierkegaard of Prince as a Frankenstein monster.  It's very cool, but the image is from Mr Kierkegaard's "Shooting Stars" from 1987, I don't think it ever appeared in Heavy Metal.  I kinda wonder how they came across this and decided to put in in this feature.  There was also a "more on this later" and a link to the two Rolling Stone videos about Mr Kierkegaard and the Star Wars parody that was in Rock Opera in HM.  So maybe there will be more on this story.


By the way, Shooting Stars was an anthology by Mr Kierkegaard of Rock Opera - like parodies of pop culture icons, like Boy George, Madonna, and Prince.  For fun, here's another image snip from the Shooting Stars story "Prance":





While I'm at it, another recently departed rock star was seen in a Rock Opera, a snap from October 1980:








3 comments:

fred said...

So I pulled out the Fall 1986 issue, since PorPorbooks blog did a post about it, and what did I find, but the story Dr Funkenstein's Mon-Star, the Prince parody from Shooting Stars, and the image of Prance from the story on the back cover. This was just before Shooting Stars came out. I was a bit surprised, since when the HM feature came up, I actually did some research, paging through the magazine list on Lostboy's heavymetalmagazinefanpage.com blog, and the HM website cover gallery, to see if I could find it, and even paged through a few mags, but I missed it. I had thought it was perhaps an image from Rock Opera that I didn't recall, so I wanted to find it. But when I saw it in Shooting Stars, I thought I had caught a mistake, so I had fun commenting on the HM feature and writing this little post.
So, I put another comment on the HM Prince feature to acknowledge my mistake, and added this comment to my post, which no one will see.
Being mistaken when pointing out someone else's mistake? Finding out months later? I think it's all pretty funny, to be honest.

fred said...

it's odd that I tried twice to add a comment to the HM Prince feature, pointing out my error, and my added comments were both deleted/moderated off. I can't imagine why they don't want my correction of my "correction" on this feature. maybe they really will revisit the item in a "more on this later" kind of way, but I'd be surprised at this point.

fred said...

So I just noticed that my correction comment is present on the HM Prince article. I haven't looked for several months, but I imagine they allowed it a while ago. The article still "thanks Fred for the correction."