Thursday, February 11, 2016

HM tumblr


It took the HM website putting up a feature about heavymetalmagazine.tumblr.com for me to notice it, which indicates I should really get out more.
It's pretty neat that this guy is posting various page scans of Heavy Metal Magazine, apparently once a day for a few years now, from his complete collection, starting with the second issue.  It seems he got his start with his father's collection, and he got into them at an early age, and it seems to have been influential.
Mr Rhodes appears to be a comic artist, and his (assuming it's He) comments show a critical but appreciative eye.  I enjoy his perspective and how it differs from mine, his coming to HM later in its life, and mine while they mags came out (though he's up to 1991 now, he's already passed the point in time when I had lost interest and had stopped buying them).  He's also pointed out a few articles he'd written about comics and HM's place in them.  He has a better perspective than mine, of HM in the context of comics, than mine of remembering the times when HM was an actual cultural force.
The scans are a bit low-res and some show interference-pattern type texturing, but they get the point across.  To be honest, there have been several images that I don't specifically recall, but I can't be surprised, given my advanced years, and that some issues I have only read once, when I completed my own collection just a few years ago. 
I have not paged through them all, I may not ever get all the way through, but I'll look frequently.  I envy this kind of dedication and time to spend, but that's not where I'm at.  Someday I may make take the time to seek out some of my favorite images from the mag and put them up, but not today.
So thanks for the heads-up HM website guys, and thanks Mr Rhodes for sharing your interests.

No comments: