Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Job Dun

A while back, Mark Hobby contacted me, and asked if I would review Job Dun, Fat Assassin, which he did with Ben Michael Byrne, of Kranburn fame, as well as Noelle Criminova and Dave Evans.  I was quite flattered to be asked to review an actual comic on my meager blog.  Despite my warnings of infrequent posts and tiny audience, he sent it to me anyway.  After having it a number of weeks, I'm finally putting up a review.

Now, I'm not the first nor only one to be asked, and of course others responded in a more timely manner:

http://www.comicsonline.com/2014/08/comic-book-review-job-dun-fat-assassin-1/

http://fanboycomics.net/index.php/blogs/simply-jack/item/3899

http://www.regeeken.com/artist-spotlight-job-dun-fat-assassin-spray-comics/

Clearly these are regular comics readers with broader interest and experience than mine.  Their blogs are cooler too.  My interest is mostly limited to Heavy Metal magazine and related items, but since I got hooked on BMB's Kranburn when he shared the beginnings on the departed HM website forums, I'm interested enough in Job Dun to actually write about it.

Basically, I liked Job Dun.  It's got cool drawing, a fun and wacky storytelling style, and a crazy futuristic setting.  It's thought-provoking but doesn't take itself too seriously.  In fact it's so nutty, it has its incomprehensible moments.  In some of the other reviews, it evokes references to Heavy Metal magazine, I suppose I can see it.

This one seems to be titled "Body Shitta."  The fat assassin, in a grimy urban jungle, plugged in and hopped up on Khem-Kola and pineal implants, takes an assignment from a red-head black-clad bombshell.  Perhaps letting his infatuation get the better of his judgement, such as it is.  "Spray" addled hilarity and some fantastical violence ensues.  Jokes are made, imaginations are tested, and social norms are disdained.  An ending with more than a couple loose ends.  A "Next, Whut is 2B Dun?"  So perhaps there will be more.

I hope so.  I like Mr Byrne's work, I liked Mr Hobby's story, and the bright colors and lettering added up to make a fun read.  Job Dun appears to be available on the same bigcartel site that offers Kranburn from FEC Comics, so I'll suggest seeking it out and spending less than a buck (AUS) for a digital copy.  They have print for $6 as well ( http://jobdun.bigcartel.com/ ), though getting Kranburn shipped to me was a challenge, I hope it would be easier for you for Job Dun.

thanks again to Mr Hobby for the kind offer of a free comic and letting me write about it.

No comments: