Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Heavy Metal dot com

I noticed a couple recent changes to the official HM website (maybe not so recent, but I just noticed).

The obvious development is the offer for all available back issues, 222 magazines, for $890.  Since the current issue is #265, it's apparent this wouldn't get you a complete set.  A quick look shows that there are 3 issues from the 1970s available, of the 33 issues that were produced then.  This would seem to be the biggest gap in this offering.  A few others I can think of are some of the specials like the Best Ofs and the first Erotic Special.  I was glad to see they have all the numbered issues, including #263 which I thought had sold out.

Still, if someone wanted to start a collection, and had the means, this would be a good start.  Some of those early issues are pretty expensive on the open market though.  (while I was lucky to find an almost complete 1977-1985 set in a resale shop for $200 when I started, I still probably came close to the $890 to complete it.  And of course I'm spending $8 each at the bookstore every couple months.)

There are also offers of recent issues as digital downloads.  Perhaps this is "the wave of the future" but it's not something I will pursue.  The paper magazine, the fact that it still exists, and that I can hold 30+ year old paper in my hands to read, is a big part of the appeal for me, as well as the high quality print and imagery it offers.  If HM ever goes all-digital it'll lose me.  I'm not old-school, I'm just old.

I did notice that the archives have been removed, so all the old Biz and Buzz, I Shot my Wife, broken links to Eyebrow Tuna videos, the long interview with Mr Eastman from the 90s, are lost to us.  I'm sure they got little traffic.  Also, I'd seen the link to Gates had dropped off the front page, but it's now in the Just for Fun.  Of course, nothing's happened there for almost a year.

So, things change, some will be missed, some new things will be enjoyed, some will be disdained.  F-book?  pffft.  While the shutdown of the old HM website forums pissed me off enough to start this blog (and what a miserable little thing this is) I know that nothing lasts forever.  Part of my interest in HM, besides the memories of my misspent youth it brings back, is how it still exists, thanks to Mr Eastman, and wondering if it will continue.  Here's hoping, and looking forward to #266 and more Animal'z.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(BiLL) hey fred a look at the previous editions of the # 266 and # 267 http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/Heavy-Metal-266___438739/