Sunday, November 4, 2012

other reviews

So while looking around the internet for something, I found this guy who wrote a bunch of HM magazine reviews, he called them "recaps", starting with the first issue.  He made it through about a dozen of them.  It's amusing to me that his first impression of HM appears to be the 1981 movie and how it colors his viewpoint, especially how he seems to read them from a present day perspective (he wrote them a couple years ago), without considering the context of the time they were produced.  
He hates Barbarella and doesn't get 1996 (I enjoyed Barbarella, though it was often dumb, and I thought 1996 was hilarious, and it seemed so far in the future then).  
However, they are thorough and well written, and even have scans of pages and covers.  It's an admirable effort, and I think it's worth looking at.  (link starts at the first review and you can go backwards from there):

2 comments:

IF said...

Haven't seen those reviews before, so I check them out when I have time as they seems to be quite detailed.

However I just wanted to mention something else here and since this looks the most appropriate place I'll do it here.

I noticed that HM FB page promotes lots of crap on Kickstarter. Well don't get offended, but what does Carrot-top has to do with HM?

Anyway right now they are promoting a GREAT thing. THE GOON comics animation production through Blur Studios (We remember them from once hyped HM animation (Fincher))
GOON is the BEST comic book out there. I love the wacky sense of Powell's writing, as well his art is second to none. A cause well worth supporting.

IF said...

Just finished reading his review of the First HM issue.
... and I like it. It's dead on.
I'm someone who started reading HM in mid 90's, under the flagship of Kevin E. (seen the first movie when it came out, thou) and I find those issues much more focused, and entertaining than the pioneer issues of the old. While the art was the high point of the early ages, the stories quite often left me in the state of WTF?
I'm just glad I'm not the only one. Obviously the reviewer had the same experience. Will read the rest later.