Monday, June 20, 2022

HR Giger Debbie Harry Chris Stein HM December 1981

I enjoyed seeing an article from Rolling Stone about that time when Debbie Harry, Chris Stein, and HR Giger got together, to make some art for Debbie Harry's debut solo album KooKoo, in 1981.  I wasn't a big fan of Debbie Harry or Blondie music at the time, though I thought it was mostly pretty good.  But I was a big Heavy Metal Magazine fan, and I liked the cover art from December 1981, with Chris Stein's photo of "Giger does Debbie":


(image from www.heavymetalmagazinefanpage.com/hmlist81

and an article inside the mag with more photos and text (photos of my copy):

 


There's some great imagery of the cool bodysuit and posing with other Giger props.

From the Rolling Stone article, it appears there's going to be a re-release of KooKoo, and Chris Stein is putting out a book this fall.  I may actually keep an eye open for it.

There are a couple more articles on this topic I saw, www.art-agenda.com/announcements/416517/chris-stein-h-r-giger-kokoo-1981 and www.kaleidoscope.media/shop/chris-stein-h-r-giger-kookoo-1981, selling more stuff.

 



1 comment:

tarbandu said...

I remember that issue and have it in a box in my basement. No one can say Stein and Harry weren't the hippest of hipsters, back in the day......! And this despite Stein's suffering from pemphigus, a debilitating autoimmune disease.