Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Romero

So with George Romero recently passing, and the online memorializing, it's an opportunity to remember the HM article about the Dawn of the Dead movie in the October 1978 issue.  Now, I'm not a big zombie fan, I don't get the appeal (I think it's an expression of the innate human fear of the "other" in pop culture form, but it doesn't really work for me), but I will say that Romero's Night of the Living Dead is a pretty good thriller/horror movie, so I can see how that started it.  The article is an excerpt of a story of the Dawn movie, by George Romero and Susanna Sparrow, with a couple movie stills.  It was a nice entry for the mag to broaden it from just drawings, but I haven't seen the movie.  It's also an opportunity to plug one of my favorite HM stories that happens to be in the same issue, Shattered Like a Glass Goblin, by Harlan Ellison (also pretty famous) and William Stout, which I found fascinating.  I do have an early review of this issue on this here blog.

No comments: