Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Rock Opera news

The Heavy Metal website has a feature about a Rock Opera episode by Rod Kierkegaard Jr in the March 1985 issue.  It's a Star Wars and Beatles parody.  This was the kind of wit and humor, insightful and timely and weird, that interested me about Mr Kierkegaard's Rock Opera and helped keep me buying the mag at the time.  There's been nothing like it since.


The feature not only has some text and scans of the story (and tries to sell back issues they still have of this one!), there are also videos, from Rolling Stone's youtube, of the story, and a brief interview with Rod Kierkegaard Jr himself!  (at least I think so, never heard him speak before.)


This is so neat.  I was a big fan of Rock Opera back in the day, one of the few, judging by the Chain Mail letters that were printed at the time, that were pretty negative.  I'm also a fan of Mr Kierkegaard and his other more recent writing.  I enjoyed a brief period of correspondence with him a few years ago, one of the pinnacles of my meager fanboyhood.


I hope this means Mr Kierkegaard gets a bit of recognition from HM fans who may not be so familiar with him, and some further interest in his more current work.  (buy his stuff on Amazon.)


So go look at the HM website in the news/features section to see this feature and watch the videos.  They are on Rolling Stone's youtube too, but I didn't see anything on their main website.  I'd love to hear the rest of the interview with Mr Kierkegaard.


This was so fun, it almost puts me in the Xmas spirit.  So happy holidays everyone, every damn one of them.

No comments: