Tuesday, March 26, 2013

more other reviews

so I'm cruising the internet looking for issues of May 2012, the one with four covers, and finding it is surprisingly unavailable.  I started looking when I noticed that even HM doesn't have it for sale on the website.  there are probably some out there but I haven't found it yet.

while searching, I came across porporbooks blog, which has posts about SF books and stuff from the 80s and such.  there are many posts on HM magazines from the late 70s and 80s, maybe thirty, and several others on stories from HM.  not only are some of them about some really fantastic issues of HM, but the 80s were the time of my fondly remembered misspent youth (the memories are good, the crap I seem to have forgotten), much of it misspent reading Heavy Metal  magazine.  while they often start with references to popular songs and movies, they are light on commentary and heavy on scanned images.  I have not read them all, yet, but I find them quite enjoyable.  I hope you do too.

http://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(BiLL)hi fred I visited the site and criticisms are good and I realized difference in hm magazine in the 80s, but now we see how the magazine changed I'm not complaining because I like to have sexy women on the cover, but I am saying that HM had good entertainment in the '80s and the content was good!

fred said...

HM has had sexy women on the cover since it started, but in recent years that's about the only thing that's been on the cover.
I read through the posts with Heavy Metal labels, and the ones about stories in HM, but I may have missed a few.
Though the writer mostly fills the posts with scans of pages, some opinions can be determined from the little commentary. He likes Caza (me too), thinks Lou Stathis's rok reviews were pretentious (who didn't?) and thinks HM was for stoners (most people were back then). I enjoyed the perspective of someone else who read these old issues when they came out, even though it's not the same as mine. The times have certainly changed. I might wish for a less random approach but I appreciate the efforts, and the scanned pages can be a real benefit to those who have not seen these older issues of HM.

Anonymous said...

(BiLL)fred you think the site removed the digital download of new issues hm well as the 261 edition?

fred said...

I don't think a .pdf sample of #261 was provided, too bad. There were samples for #259 and #260. I don't know if there will be one for #262, but it would be nice if there was.

Anonymous said...

(BiLL) fred is right!